Thursday, June 19, 2008

Burnin' Down the House

We nearly had a fire at our house today.

The kids were sleeping after a full morning of sun and fun at the park with some friends so I took a break from checking email so I could put in a load of laundry without "help".

When I walked in the bedroom to retrieve the overflowing pile of darks, I noticed a burning smell. I opened our window to see if the smell was coming from outside. Nope. Just fresh air from that source (which I then decided to leave open to take advantage of the nice breeze).

Maybe the smell was coming from downstairs thinking that because Big Brother was examining the lint trap in the dryer earlier something could be awry there. I also need to get said dirty clothes down to the laundry room.

Nope. Nothing burning there.

The smell really was contined in my bedroom/bathroom. Hmmmm . . .

*visualize wide eyes and disbelief here*

It was the medicine cabinet in my bathroom BURNING. Really, burning. Today is sunny (probably the 12th sunny day this calendar year, no joke) and we have a rather large and wonderful sky light in the bathroom. I also have a small make-up mirror on the counter in the bathroom. Turns out that little mirror was tilted at JUST THE RIGHT angle to bounce powerful, direct light from the son onto the wooden cabinet. What are the chances of that happening? I'm not even sure I could venture to guess . . . but I do know that we haven't had any other "fire" instances in the 3.5 years we've lived here with that mirror on the counter.

We now have some lovely charring details adorning the cabinet. Any ideas for how to make the big black spots in the middle of the cabinet look asthetically pleasing? I'll post a photo by the end of the day. It's going to take something miraculous to cover up this near-house-fire detail!

7 comments:

Running Knitter said...

WOW! Glad to hear you are all OK!

Marcy said...

OMG that's insane!! I'm so glad everyone is alright! Wow!

teacherwoman said...

Wow, now that is something I would have never though of happening! Glad you found it before it could have been worse! :)

MizFit said...

HOLY MOLEY.

glad all turned out ok.

MizFit

D10 said...

That is crazy! Glad you are all ok and you were able to catch it before it did any serious damage.

Nitmos said...

It reflected of your son? Is he always standing in the bathroom at that angle when the sun is out? Just kidding. Weird story.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Glad everything turned out ok, and have a great time on your blog break!