Monday, January 4, 2010

Starting with a Thankful Heart in 2010


Welcome 2010.

I kicked off the year on January 1st with 3.5 miles on my trusty ol' treadmill. After two weeks of not running, it was fabulous. Delicious even, if a treadmill could be considered such. I went the next step and even recorded my mileage! That's right, this year I'm going to track it. I suppose that could be considered one of my New Year's resolutions - write down the good things!

Remember the running calendar I told you about in December, Carol Goodrow's What a Day for Running!? Well, I bought one when they came out and a running pal of mine gave me a copy for Christmas. We're using one to keep track of family stuff and I'm using the other to track my mileage. I think I'll hang the second one by the treadmill for ease of recording since I use the treadmill year-round (I DO get outside for runs, too, don't worry).

Though the year is still quite new, it has been full. A local friend of mine welcomed her second son into the world at noon on the 1st and my college roommate said goodbye to her mom for the last time the night of the 3rd. These two life-changing experiences prompted me to return to my Starting with a Thankful Heart posts. Life is too precious and too short not to take notice of the little things that make life full and rich and worth sharing.

So, on this first Monday of 2010, I give you a short list of things that make my heart happy.

1. I am thankful for my daughter's question as I tucked her into bed tonight: "Can I hold yours hand?" While her nearly-three year-old self can sure push me over the edge sometimes, she does know what to say to melt her mama's heart.

2. I am thankful that I cranked out 2.5 miles this morning before getting back into the groove of post-holiday reality. One day at a time I'm getting back to my workout routine and it feels GREAT!

3. I am thankful that others reach out to share their passion with the world. A high school friend of mine is kicking-off her 2010 in grand running style. Please take a minute to visit my Beth on her Sweaty Quest for Enlightenment blog. She's a strong, smart, sassy go-getter of a redhead who is using running to get her life back after several years of serious illness and time taking care of everyone but herself. Please join me in supporting her on her quest and enjoying her new found passion for running! And I do have to toot my own horn here, too, in mentioning that she's a big supporter of my book, for which I am forever grateful.

4. I am thankful that after the stressful holidays we managed to squeeze in a day trip to Camano Island yesterday before my husband's vacation was over. We practically had the beach to ourselves and even brought along dear ol' Albus Dumblepup. There were many treasures to be found, as you can tell from my son's bursting arms.


How about YOU? Is there something big or small that makes you thankful today?

1 comment:

Running Diva Mom said...

I hope that 2010 is a great year for you! Enjoy the journey!!