Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Party's Nearly in Full Swing!

I hope you brought your appetite to the party today! Get ready to dig in to some good stuff!

My dear friend Jen (fellow art history enthusiast and my Maid of Honor 8 years ago) from Atlanta sent along this good lookin' snack recipe. I'm excited to report that Jen got fitted for her FIRST real pair of running shoes earlier this year and is giving running a go!


"I tried a recipe from my new favorite cookbook, Elie Kreiger's The Food You Crave. It's a perfect pre or post run snack! And it actually gave me something to do with the jar of wheat germ that's been sitting on my shelf for a couple of months.

Here's the recipe:

Energy Bars
Cooking Spray (I used PAM organic spray with canola oil)
1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup shelled unsalted raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ (I toasted mine in a dry frying pan on the stove for a few minutes)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup pitted dried dates
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk (you can find this on the baking aisle in the same place where the condensed milk is)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350.
Coat a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
Place all ingredients, except syrup and eggs, in a food processor and pulse until everything is finely chopped. Add the syrup and eggs and pulse until the mixture is well combined. It will resemble a course paste.
Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly to cover the bottom (you will want to do this with your hands, I tried a spoon and it just kept breaking up, also, the layer of mixture will be very thin when you are done spreading it out, maybe 1/4 inch thick). Bake until lightlly browned, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then cut into 24 individual bars. Store in an airtight container at room temp up to 3 days, or wrap individually and freeze for up to 3 months.

Yummy and filling!"


Be sure to give it a try, folks. You can bet it is on my list of new recipes to try!


And Carrie, mother of three (who is diving head-first into her own workout groove - go Carrie!), sent along this super easy breakfast concauction that any mom-on-the-go can squeeze into the morning. And, seeing as she lives in the town of Carnation (really, named after the Carnation dairy farms that were there!) she writes:


"I’m not a runner, more of a “speed walker” and I just started a more formal exercise program. My personal trainer told me to drink or eat a protein snack in the afternoon when I’m hungry, and it is not quite dinner time, but I need energy to keep up with my three small children. I love Carnation Instant Breakfast and found this simple recipe on their website for a smoothie. I’ll bet my kids would like this as well.

Ingredients:
1 cup fat free milk 1 cup ice cubes 1 packet Rich Milk Chocolate Flavor NESTLÉ CARNATION INSTANT BREAKFAST Complete Nutritional Drink 1/2 banana

Directions:
PLACE milk, ice, Carnation Instant Breakfast and banana in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
Serving Size: 1"
*logo image credit: www.carnationinstantbreakfast.com

Now that we're all feelin' good with full bellies, we're set to meet another party-goer!

I'm not sure from where Diana hails, but I'm honored to introduce you to her! This woman has PASSION and a true love and dedication to her family. Diana says,

"For me, running has always been a way to exercise and stay somewhat in shape both physically and mentally. It calms me down, gives me confidence and it has taught me mental toughness. As I began to increase mileage, running took on more meaning. Running no longer is just about me. I run for all those who are unable to run, those who are afraid to lace up their shoes, and for those who will never get the chance. I run for my nephew who never got the opportunity to buy a pair of sneakers, never felt the wind in his hair and who during his 11 weeks of life never got the chance to see the sun. I run because it is when I am out there lost in my thoughts that I know he is still with me, with us. That is why I run."

Isn't amazing how running takes us out of our own little world to connect us with something so much bigger? I know many of you dedicate yoursleves to running for others, whether it is running in memory of a lost loved one or celebration for the renewed heath of a friend. We all have internal drives that keep us going and it is powerful when we can share that love for life with others. Thanks for sharing your story, Diana.

Have a story, recipe or photo you'd like to share? There's still time to join the party! Just send me an email with your entry (girlsrunning@hotmail.com) and I'll include it in one of the remaining Virtual Book Launch Party Blogs this week. BONUS: I'll enter you in a drawing to WIN a COPY of We Are Girls Who Love to Run (the reason for the festivities!).

Thursday you're in for an EXTRA special treat: It's Family Day! Stop by to meet the people who make my life colorful and fun and who have helped mold me into the person I am.

Friday is CELEBRITY day! I won't tell you any more than that!

Saturday wraps up the festivities with the official announcement of the winners of the drawing and postings from the party-goers who were fashionably late, but still treasured!

2 comments:

Suzy said...

Cute family Brianna! You're lucky to have such an athletic one.

J~Mom said...

Thank you for all of the wonderful recipes!!