But, as I was posting about the Gal to Gal Virtual Walk on BookieBoo, I realized what a great educational tie-in the route of the walk is. Here's something to consider as you sign-up to participate in the virtual walk with your family:
The site is also a great place to visit over the course of the month with your children. The avatars are walking from Boston, MA (they started there on the 1st of October) and will work their way across the United States to end in San Fransisco, CA at the end of the month (they do journey up to Seattle before going south to CA - hooray!). You can turn the walk into a fun geography lesson for your family as you watch your avatars make the trek! Fodor's (the renowned travel book publisher) also provides city trivia for the "City of the Day" with links to more information about that destination.
Some questions to consider with your kids:
1) Which city on the walk is closest to where we live?
2) Do we know anyone who lives in the "City of the Day"?
3) What important historical events took place int he "City of the Day"?
4) How far did our avatar travel yesterday?
5) Get a pedometer for your family and take turns wearing it - who took the most steps this week? Did your avatar walk further, or did the family?
6) How many miles has the avatar traveled in all?
I'm sure you could come up with MANY additional questions for your kids to answer and research with you (and they can be adapted for age appropriate skills!). Let me know what questions you would explore with your family on an adventure like this one!
Oh, after you leave your comment head on over to the Gal to Gal Virtual Walk join my Balanced Steps team! Can't wait to see you there!